Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blog Post #7

Randy Pausch
Randy Pausch's

In Randy Pausch's Last Lecture. He starts off by telling everyone that his father always told him if there is a elephant in the room then talk about it. Then he showed the audience his medical scans. In the scans you can see that his body is over run with cancer, he also points that out. Then it hit me, this is actually his last lecture. Right from the start you could see the passion that he had for learning and teaching. You didn't see a "dying man" with less than six months to live. You saw a educator who loved life. Talk about being inspired!

Pausch talks about his childhood dreams and how he was able to make most of them a reality, So he decided to help other people make their dreams come true. This is exactly the reason I want to become a teacher. I want to inspire kids to "reach for the stars". Just like Pausch, I don't take life to seriously. I enjoy finding the good in everything. That is why I wanna teach my students in fun creative ways. Pausch talks about how kids don't mind learning something hard when it is fun. Yes this is off the wall for most schools. I think our school system's are to focused on feeding kids information for test and not really concerned if they have truly retained the information. In the video Pausch puts on a vest will arrows sticking out the back and says "If you are going to do anything pioneering you will get arrows in your back. In the end wouldn't it be worth it though? Yes.

I want my students to come out of my classroom with knowledge. I will stress to them that, Yes they will make mistakes and screw up sometimes and I will correct them on it. But give them this great line from Pausch's video that says, "when you screw up and nobody says anything to you anymore, it means they have given up". I want them to know that correction isn't a bad thing. I am correcting them because I care. All of that falls back onto what Pausch said when he tells the audience to think about how you say things. As a teacher when I am Speaking to or correcting a student I must think about how I say things. It will do that student no good if I speak to them with a attitude, even if it is the 100th time they have screwed up. Pausch says it best when he says, " Find the best in everybody no matter how long you have to wait for them to show up.

As a new teacher I know I will have a few "brick walls" to go through as I start out. I am exited to see how my students react when I blow their minds with awesomeness! They will quickly learn this will not be their typical class of writing notes and listening to me talk. They will see that learning can be fun and exiting. I know as I start off my teaching career I will be learning as much from my students as they will be learning from me. Pausch point that out, That we should learn from our students. Also that brick walls let us show our determination. Pausch was a awesome educator, if everyone viewed learning and teaching as he did nothing would seem impossible. Even being Caption Kirk.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steven.
    I agree with you when you say that it is okay to screw up and to remind your students that that is part of every day life. I also like how you pointed out that even if you scream at the student with an attitude, you probably won't get a good response, and it is all about how you handle yourself and your tone.
    You do have some random capital letters randomly throughout your post, and some random commas, but other than those few things, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...when I blow their minds with awesomeness!" This sounds good but what does it mean?

    I am glad you found the video useful. It is a powerful statement.

    ReplyDelete