Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blog Post #10

best pencil

1. From what I can gather from other students comments on this cartoon and reading a few of Mr.Spencer blog post. I conclude that he isn't talking about different types of pencils he talking about about different types of computers Mac's and PC's to be exact. I think he is poking fun at the two companies and how people a line themselves with either or. In the end they are both computers they both do the same things one is just more expensive. I think that is the point he is trying to get across with the two pencils. One is cheaper and one is more expensive but they both write with led and do the same thing.

2. Why Were Your Kids Playing Games? This post really hit me. I never expected a principle to be that closed minded. All his principle was worried about was cramming the kids full of information for the standardized test. It didn't seem to me that he really cared about the kids retaining the knowledge or being engaged. Even though he found out his principles disapproval of educational games he knew that the kids were learning more from the games then just force feeding information. So he told his principle that he would "we'll create an algorithm factory and integrate it into our Conflict-Oriented Reading and Writing Project."I laughed because I could just see the principles face being full of agreement not knowing that he was going to keep engaging his students. I believe Mr. Spencer is telling us that sometimes you have to take risk.

Dr. Mcleod
I agree with Dr. Mcleod. Even though he was being very sarcastic in his post, still some people still feel that way about technology. He does a great job at making those people sound foolish, after all it is kinda foolish to have that point of view. As educators we must be able to change with the times and adapt. That is the only way our future students are going to have a chance at being successful. If we still teach our students that pen and paper are still the only way to go they won't be prepared to take college courses where most of the work deals with online material much less in a workplace where ever job these day's has something to do with technology. That is why we must teach our students how to properly use this new technology.Dr. Mcleod I recognized as one of the nation’s leading academic experts on K-12 school technology leadership issues. serving as the Director of Innovation for Prairie Lakes Area Education Agency 8 in Iowa.

2 comments:

  1. Your detective work on the cartoon paid off! Papermate is a metaphor for a PC. Ticonderoga is a metaphor for a Mac. The cartoon characters resemble the stars of the long series (66 over 4 years) of Apple ads starring John Hodgman as PC and Justin Long as Mac.

    "a principle to be that closed minded. All his principle..." principal (a pal), not principle which is a law or rule. Two more in the same paragraph.

    You correctly identified Dr. McLeod's satire and his sarcastic message: you can try to keep your kids away from technology which is fine with me. Mine will use it and speed past your kids in skills, abilities and rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had to do some investigating on the cartoon because at first I was really confused! After I got the point of the message I laughed because our society is getting really ridiculous when it comes to name brand commodities. I agree that in order for students to succeed we as teachers must do all of the adapting and changing to help the students. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete