Thursday, February 7, 2013

Special Blog Post #1

The population of the United States is 309 million people. The population of India is 1.21 billion people. The population of China is 1.35 billion people. These stats are from 2010 I am sure that the populations of these three countries have increased some what. I wasn't surprised by these stats because I knew that china would have the largest population. That explains why there are more English speaking chines then there are English speaking Americans, its due to China's massive population.
In the first search I compared Florida and Alabama. I found that Alabama joined the Union December 14, 1819, And Florida Joined the Union March 3, 1845. Florida has a population of 19.06 million people and Alabama has a population of 4.803 million people. Florida's population is steadily increasing. Florida also has more people per square mile then Alabama.
The second thing I compared was apples to oranges. I found that apples have 91 calories and oranges have 71 calories. So oranges would be better to eat if you are on a low calorie diet. They both have zero fat, but oranges have more protein in them then apples.
WolframeAlpha is a great tool that can be used in the classroom. It will allow my students to find statistical data on just about anything in the world. On certain projects my students will have to come up with numbers of populations and this will be a excelent source i can let them in on so they can find their data. It will benefit me as a teacher because it will help me with my lessons. If I dont have the answer to a question that a student ask or if I'm curious I can go to the website and look it up.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count
I was astonished at how fast the numbers grew in just the few second I had been on the site. Its kinda hard to comprehend how much technology is being used. For me as a teacher it once again drives home the point that if technology is being used this much now imagine what its going to be like for my students. In a way its kinda impossible to imagine it. It really shows me that if I am going to be a effective teacher I am going to have to stay up to speed with the latest forms of technology. If I choose not to stay up to date I might as well go ahead and shoot myself in the foot, Because I wont be doing myself any good and im surely not going to be doing my student any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment